Author Topic: Attaching Patterns  (Read 2700 times)

Offline hardkore

• View Profile
Attaching Patterns
« on: January 19, 2015, 02:23:22 pm »
I have used the blue painters tape and spray glue method for years in applying patterns and it has always done exactly what was required. Recently, I went to Lowes (big box store) to replenish the tape. I have used 3M and was happy with it. I picked up a roll and started a new project. The tape held, but the spray glue did not. After a long fight, I realized that dummy (me) had bought a roll of blue DUCT tape instead of painters tape. Side by Side on the shelf. Duct tape will NOT work and almost destroyed the wood while trying to get it off. Back to the store and bought a roll of blue painters tape manufactured by Blue Hawk. Worked better but still had problems with the spray sticking. Today bought 3M Blue Painters tape and am completely happy. (poorer but happy) You need to try new things, but sticking to what makes you happy is best.

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
Re: Attaching Patterns
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 02:31:07 pm »
yes been there

Only to realise that some of these tapes have a wax coating on them and thats what prevent the adhesive to stick

Dave

Offline GrampaJim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 01:22:19 pm »
That's why I like this forum - It proves to me you can't make an original mistake. 
Jim

Offline seadog852

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 08:10:52 am »
I always use the spray glue 3M. I usually put on too much and takes forever to remove. However, with the new method I saw of brushing mineral spirits on. All is good. I spray away to ensure it sticks, then brush on the spirits.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 08:36:58 am »
I use generally the blue painters tape from harbor freight.  as long as the wood is clean and free from sawdust the tape works just fine and is cheaper then the tape you get at the big box stores like Lowes or Menards.  It is thinner though.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Chase

• View Profile
    • ScrollArt by Chase
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 09:33:20 am »
I was a blue tape and spray adhesive person for many, many years.  I recently discovered "Scroll Saw Tape" , Item #SST20 or SST5.

It is sold by Scroller in their catalog.

I'll never go back to the old way. 

I first tried the cheaper 5 ft size to see if I liked it.  Couldn't wait to get the 20 ft size.

Give it a try.

Chase
Chase--Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

http://home.comcast.net/~chasesmeeks/ScrollArt-by-Chase.html

Robert H. Bigart

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 10:32:03 am »
I use the masking tape that the vinyl cutters people use and it works and it comes in all widths, so you only use 1 piece.

Google "vinyl cutters tape"

Bob

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 06:44:55 pm »
I have a video on this subject if any of you would like to watch Attaching/Removing a Scroll Saw Pattern . I will be adding more videos on more tips and tricks in the future. If you would subscribe to my channel.

Thanks Russ  ;)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 08:22:36 pm »

Back to the store and bought a roll of blue painters tape manufactured by Blue Hawk. Worked better but still had problems with the spray sticking.

That is the same tape I bought (and probably the same spray glue 3M General Purpose 45).  I haven't had any problems and I enjoy how easy and clean this is for my work.  To me the cost of the 3 roll pack is minimal when it comes to the time it saves me.

I'm glad you got it to work for you.

Karl

EdN

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 08:24:30 am »
I was a blue tape and spray adhesive person for many, many years.  I recently discovered "Scroll Saw Tape" , Item #SST20 or SST5.

It is sold by Scroller in their catalog.

I'll never go back to the old way. 

I first tried the cheaper 5 ft size to see if I liked it.  Couldn't wait to get the 20 ft size.

Give it a try.

Chase
I agree with Chase.  I just bought some about two weeks ago and love it.  Also, after I have cut my project I was able to peel the tape off and reuse that piece of tape to cut a second (same) project.   

SMF

Teknoromi