Author Topic: How much machinery is too much  (Read 4384 times)

Tropdoug

How much machinery is too much
« on: November 23, 2014, 11:00:58 pm »
Hi guys
I am curious to find out what sort of machinery dedicated scroll sawers have, and what you would not bother with. I have quite a lot of machinery, and don't seem to use all of it. Of course every time I look at, say my thicknesser/planer which i have used once in the last 6 months, I think "Ahh but if you sell it, then you will need it".

Being by nature a procrastinator and a gatherer of "toys" I would find it helpful to know what others do. I think from here I want to concentrate on small intarsia and scroll work and not bother with large boxes, furniture etc. So for a useful, not over equipped scroll saw shop, that can fit into a smallish space, what would be your experiences.

Thanks in advance

Offline pieter

• View Profile
Re: How much machinery is too much
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 11:21:43 pm »
Tropdog, I have been scrollsawing for over 10 years, and although I have various power shop tools, I would say that the ones I use the most other than the scrollsaw are the drill press (for drilling and sanding), palm sander, disk/belt sander, and the Dewalt contractor table saw in that order. 

Pieter

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 08:06:16 am »
I can't imagine not having my planer for my scrolling.  I don't use it every day but surely couldn't live without it.  I use the table saw for sizing pieces, 2 drill presses and a dremel for drilling the holes, 6" belt sander and several palm sanders with different grits, 3 scroll saws as always need a backup.  I also have other tools but not usually for scrolling.

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 08:47:28 am »
The only time you have too many tools is when you run out of places to put them. I have a shop full of power tools use most of them.Only tool I do not have is planer and do not see much need I do not mill limber just work from store stock and can resaw on my band saw. I do have a 4" jointer a old craftsman must be 40 -50 years old but it does work.
I do most type of woodwork mostly as a hobby have been at it for many years the scroll saw is a new addition just getting use to it but it is fun and projects do get done quickly.
Mostly it depends on what you are going to do if only scrolling then you do not need a lot of tools.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 09:33:53 am »
If you tools are bought and payed for, I wouldn't get rid of ANY of them! You just never know when you might need them. If not for yourself there may be a time when a friend or family member might need a bit of help from a tool that you have.
When I was in the mobile tool business selling automotive tools, I don't know how many times I sold tools to a mechanic who told me that he had a full toolbox at one time and sold them because he thought that he would never need them again.
I had customers try to sell me all of their tools because they were getting out of the business and a year later want to buy new tools from me because their son or nephew was wanting to start as a mechanic and need tools.
The only time I would consider selling ANY of my tools is if I had to pay extra for a storage place or, when they finally decide that I need to move into "The Home" and I won't have room to keep them!

Rog 
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline PigsFly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 04:39:29 pm »
Never give up a good friend or a good tool.  Respect them and treat them right and they will both always be there for you.
Doug

Take what you do seriously
Never take yourself too seriously

Tropdoug

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 04:57:00 pm »
Thanks guys
Interesting comments much appreciated. I think I may have to get rid of some in the near future, as I probably will be moving and the sort of house I could afford to rent wouldn't have so much room. But I think I will wait and see what actually transpires, rather than making decisions I may regret later.

Loved the input.

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 05:36:35 pm »
I have a small shop so everything is on wheels, a lot of equipment fits a small space if it rolls.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 09:32:08 pm »
I have the basics, ex-16 scrollsaw, a old sears table saw to cut blanks or anything else I need, palm sander to get the surface smooth precutting and final sanding, dremel for detail sanding, small drill press does the job, also drill to get hole press won't reach, on my list is  a bandsaw to resaw and a planer to plane out the resawn wood, I use oak and birch plywood for right now with bbply for most my stuff and just useing those 3 woods I get great reviews on my work.

Even with the basics you can get great work out the door, and most my stuff is cheap, drill press HF special, table saw was on CL for 55 bucks, palm sander was cheap at walmart under 20 bucks, only thing high dollar was my EX-16 scrollsaw. SO even cheap used tolls and machines can get the job done to satisfaction.

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 03:23:21 pm »
Steve said it best with one of his pattern's
http://www.stevedgood.com/powertool.pdf

Offline scotti158

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 05:25:08 pm »
Too many is never enough!
Tilt-O-Scroll DW788 Owner/Operater

ChuckD

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 05:47:13 pm »
No Such thing as to many toys, I mean tools.  The next tool you need is the one you just got rid of.

Honeycow

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 05:47:25 am »
Tools are not the problem for me. It's wood! I can't stand to throw anything out no matter how small and......... I can't stand to see any piece of wood just left there to die! We went through the local farm machinery dealers back yard and I couldn't leave the pile of discarded pallets! I want them ALL! Thank God my hubby knows and understands me! Lots of odd sizes of wood takes up a lot more space than tools.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 06:29:04 am »
I agree, you can never have too many tools. I will find a place for them or build a bigger space/shop.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 06:42:51 am »
As soon as you get rid of it - you will need it.  The big tools I don't use every day are on caster bases so I can move them easily.  They line up down one side of my shop and I move them out as I need them.  One wall has the things I use almost daily and the bigger stuff is on the other side of the room ready for me to roll out and use.

SMF

Teknoromi