Author Topic: Newbie questions  (Read 2305 times)

Belg

Newbie questions
« on: November 23, 2014, 09:34:49 am »
Good morning all, just joined and was wondering has anyone done a chart for what blade type would work best with a certain materials as well as thicknesses?
And second I'm looking for some beginner free Christmas plaque plans? Any thoughts would be very appreciated. Pat

pddesertrat

Re: Newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 10:47:30 am »
I think a chart would be so general, it wouldn't serve much purpose.  As general as bigger blades for bigger wood, small blades for delicate fret work and thinner wood.  Scroll saw blades are pretty much an individual thing.  The best thing I did was buy a variate and try different blades for different types of wood and cuttings. It doesn't take long to zero in on a few favorites.  That's my take on it.

Belg

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 04:55:20 pm »
Ok with that being said I would like to put in an order for some reverse #5's and was wondering what else would be good to start with??

pddesertrat

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 05:29:18 pm »
This is what I started with. 

http://mikesworkshop.com/AssrtPk.htm

Gave me a good feel of different types of blades.  Then I tried spiral blades, and they worked great for me so that is my go to blade now.

Offline gramps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 06:10:30 pm »
file:///C:/Users/Fred%20&%20Laurie/Downloads/No_Fail_Blade_Chart_206122387.pdf

hope this helps , gramps

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 06:13:02 pm »
Here's a good guide to use if you are starting out. Olson makes good blades but I usually use Flying Dutchman blades from Mike's Workshop. As mentioned above everyone has a favorite.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline gramps

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 06:13:42 pm »
sorry, you'll have to copy and paste. but it might be worth it, gramps

Offline justsomeguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 07:15:14 am »
hey there Pat !!  ;D  nice to see that you made it over to this site. you will find all kinds of valuable information and very helpful people around here. there are also some AMAZING pattern makers among these folk ~~because of where I live up north it's hard to get things even shipped in any kind of timely manner so I have Olson blades available to me at a local store which I buy. i'm usually get the 20 TPI, 18 TPI and 15 TPI unfortunately I don't have access to any skip tooth blades or anything like that..just a plain normal ol blade. also the blades I use are pin ended. so that changes the game a bit from pinless.....

SMF

Teknoromi