Author Topic: Dewalt 788  (Read 2383 times)

rdlayton

Dewalt 788
« on: November 18, 2014, 04:49:55 pm »
Looking for any help someone can give me on my Dewalt 788.  My variable speed control does not work. At first it ran at full speed. When I asked on another scroll sawing forum, what the problem could be, the answer was I had a bad circuit board. Replaced that at a cost of $55.00. Now the saw runs at the slowest speed. Still no variable speed.  Not sure what else to try. I want my Delta back but it's so old I can't get parts anymore. Now that was a great saw! Help and thanks

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: Dewalt 788
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 06:22:55 pm »
How old is your saw?

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

rdlayton

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 05:08:45 pm »
The saw is about four years old but it was in storage for the last two years.  It has had very little use. 

Offline WynnD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 06:00:58 pm »
I'm certain you have checked but is the knob firmly attached to the shaft? There is a screw that attaches the knob to the shaft. If it is loose the knob will turn but the control will not move.

rdlayton

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 06:13:23 pm »
You know I haven't checked that. I have turned the knob countlessly times when trying to get this thing to operate but never looked closely to see if the shaft is turning. I will check that when I get home from work. Thank you (I was looking for a much bigger problem)

rdlayton

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 09:30:49 pm »
WynnD  Checked on the speed knob. My does not have a set screw on it.  I went ahead and checked to see if it was turning and everything is working fine.  I guess the knob could be bad but it seems unlikely. Back to square one but thank you for the suggestion

Offline WynnD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 04:22:22 pm »
O.K. try putting a screw driver or knife blade under the knob and gently pry it up. You should b able to turn the shaft easily with your fingers. Maybe the inside of the knob has been rounded off, The shaft has a flat that the knob should turn by friction.

SMF

Teknoromi