Author Topic: Steves stencil printer help  (Read 3105 times)

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Steves stencil printer help
« on: October 26, 2014, 11:48:29 am »
I use his little software gadget (stencil printer V 1.7) for making keychains all the time but I cannot for the life of me get it to print out 2 lines so i can do a compound keychain with two sides without printing out 2 separate patterns for the 2 different words.
Yes i click on the multi line and outline but no go.  How do you get it to display?  Pretty please.  Step by step for a puter numpty.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
Re: Steves stencil printer help
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 01:06:35 pm »
Dunk
I can see your problem.
Obviously you are typing the word and then pressing enter on your key board to start the next line, but it dont work like that.
do this start the proram and it will default to words "Scroll Saw"
now check the multi line box, that will put the wording in the centre of the screen
now go to the "blank Height" and set it to maximum
now go to you text input and type "scroll saw again at he side of the first one
you should now have two lines the first saying "Scroll Saw Scroll" and the second saying "saw"
now go to the "blank width" and reduce it and it will get to a point that it suddenly sets "Scroll Saw" under "Scroll Saw"
of course this is greatly reducing the length and height, so you would be as well doing the same thing using inkscape or similar so that you can make it exactly what size you want

hope thats as clear as mud for you

Dave

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 02:00:23 pm »
Dave,
You are a jewel.  Big guy hugz  Thank you very much.   For some reason the top of the first letter gets cut off  when I adjust the height to try and get it down to .5 inches tall.    I'll keep playing with it.   Not sure how to get the two words closer together.  I can kern the individual letters but not up and down.

Can you tell me step by step how to do it in inkscape as well..   LOL
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 02:07:09 pm by dunk »
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 01:38:23 pm »
PM sent

Dave

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 07:50:30 am »
Thank you.
Mike

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 10:48:14 am »
If you still need some Inkscape instructions, you can
1. open Inkscape
2. Click on the Text Tool ("A" box along the left edge)
3. Click in the page where you want it and type your text e.g. "Line One" then ENTER then "Line Two"
4. At the top left, set your font type and size. Note if you use Scroll Beach Italic, it will not display until you set the Italics button.
5. The ENTER will put a big space between lines. You can reduce this using the 1st kerning field at the top ("A over A"). Mine starts at 8.89. Reduce it to about 1.00 or wherever looks good.
6. If you want to reduce intercharacter spacing, adjust the "AA" kerning. Mine starts at -2.65. Set it where you want it.
7. To move the text around on the page, or rotate/flip them, switch to the Select Tool (Arrow at top of left edge).
8. You can add an underlying rectangle or ellipse to define the boundaries of the blank. Change the fill at the bottom of the page, or move the rectangle/ellipse to a lower layer (Select Tool, right of the flip button) so it does not obscure the text.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Fab4

• Go For It
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 03:36:22 am »
Great response
Learn something new every day.