Author Topic: I Need Some Learning Here  (Read 4670 times)

pddesertrat

I Need Some Learning Here
« on: October 16, 2014, 08:37:17 pm »
I'm going to attempt my first Charles Dearing pattern.  I selected a pattern of a Raccoon (see below).  Before I start a patten I like to study it a bit and try to decide how I am going to do some of the parts.  Where I am concerned on this one is the long whiskers.  From past experience I know they are going to be difficult.  They are going to want to move as I try to cut them because they are so thin. Anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent that? 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 09:57:45 pm by pddesertrat »

famliyguy

Re: I Need Some Learning Here
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 08:51:17 pm »
yes sir those whiskers look scary thin. I think I would use a 0/3 blade and try tape all those cut outs
 in place   good luck on this.It will great when done    bob

pddesertrat

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 09:01:17 pm »
Thanks Bob, tape has been my thinking. But, not sure.  In fact after just starting to drill all those little tiny holes in the thing, I'm not sure I'm going to make it through this.  Hey, a person has to try, right?  It's only wood, time and broken blades. right??   Oh, and cross eyes.   :o

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 09:47:22 pm »
Cut the whiskers out but keep the wood that surrounded the whiskers in place until you are totally ready to finish the project, this will protect the delicate whiskers from accidental knocking about. 

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 11:37:32 pm »
Hi, Paul,
You definitely picked a challenging project there!
I would suggest that you stack cut at least two to give you more
stability. In fact, with a project that challenging I would probably
cut at least 4 pieces of 1/8" material and expect to lose the bottom
piece to chip outs because the blade would have to be almost Perfectly
aligned.

I would also cut the whiskers a bit thicker than the pattern suggests.

As already pointed out, keep the cut out pieces and tape them back into place
as you move to the next area.
Finally, I would cut the whiskers on the right side last and would probably
cut them starting at the top and working my way to the bottom of the pattern.
Can't wait to see the final bragging rights! Believe me, I think you will deserve them!
God Bless! Spirithorse

pddesertrat

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 10:09:24 am »
Very good info all, thank you.  Those waiting to see the finished project, check back in about a year! I started one an ear last evening, worked over an hour and only got about 1/3 of it done!!

ChuckD

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 03:48:09 pm »
A third in one night, on a Charlie Dearing pattern?  That is pretty good.  I hope you cut the hard parts first.  If you do them last and you make a big mistake, it is crying time.  Good Lucki

pddesertrat

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 05:04:36 pm »
A third in one night, on a Charlie Dearing pattern?  That is pretty good.  I hope you cut the hard parts first.  If you do them last and you make a big mistake, it is crying time.  Good Lucki

That was 1/3 of one ear!!

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 05:08:33 pm »
have you considered cutting out the white parts on a thin, dark board, then using a light/white backer board?
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

CharlesDearing

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 08:57:58 pm »
You are absolutely welcome to make the whiskers thicker than they appear lol.  No law sayin' ya have to do it the way ya see eit ;).  Another piece of advice is while cutting them keep one finger on top of the whisker as close to the blade as you're comfortable with.

pddesertrat

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 11:30:06 pm »
Will I finished the cut this evening.  The whiskers were a piece of cake, thank you spiral blades, it is the eyes I lost.  Maybe I can fix them, will look at them tomorrow.  If not it was great practice and I will try again.  I will post a picture is I can fix the eyes.  Golly, I kept pretty good track of the time spent on it.  Little over 26 hours.  Sure hope I can fix the eyes or it was 26+ hours of just good practice.  But, ya gotta try!

ChuckD

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 11:55:10 pm »
Welcome to Charlies Patterns.  I have been doing them for years so don't feel you are the first to re-cut one of his patterns.  Wait until you see one of Mike Williams patterns.  A lot like Charlies.  Good luck and don't give up.

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 10:53:29 am »
I would agree with other postings here about cutting the whiskers larger.

I keep telling my Sweet Wife that those are not lines on a pattern, they are SUGGESTIONS.  You are your own person.

Offline busco

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 09:09:15 pm »
Geez, I am years away from attempting something like that.  My eyes would cross so bad I'd be looking out the side of my head.  Good luck and lets get a look when your done!

ChuckD

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 05:43:46 pm »
Geez, I am years away from attempting something like that.  My eyes would cross so bad I'd be looking out the side of my head.  Good luck and lets get a look when your done!

One thing you have remember about Charlies patterns and he would be the first to agree with this.  Just like any other pattern, you cut one hole at a time.  Think only about that hole and don't think abut the 10 million more you have to cut for the pattern.   Can you cut a hole, bet you can........You will never know unless you try.  Good luck.

SMF

Teknoromi