Author Topic: Regarding puzzles  (Read 3035 times)

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
Regarding puzzles
« on: September 30, 2014, 06:44:56 pm »
I've downloaded Steve's file on puzzle patterns. No problem understanding applying the picture or photo to the thicker piece of wood, but wonder if anyone with experience could advise on how to more permanently affix the photo as I question how long it's going to stay fastened with regular handling. Could one finish the completed piece with some sort of non-toxic clear coat? Thank you, Barry.

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: Regarding puzzles
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 07:13:11 am »
The thin, cheap photo paper works best.  I apply spray adhesive to the photo AND the wood.  I made several of these and sent to deployed soldiers and airmen.  I don't coat them.  They seem to hold up well.  My son-in-law has two of them I sent five years ago and they are still in great shape.  He says he's put them together many, many times.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 10:32:14 am »
I don't pretend to know for nothing but I'm really surprized that the paper doesn't start to "fray" at the edges of the puzzle pieces and wear off. Cheers, Barry.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 07:48:43 am »
I thought the same thing when I started making them.  I copy the pattern onto card stock and tape it over the photo, then cut.  I haven't had the paper lift yet.  I suppose that is why the thinner photo paper works better.  The thicker paper has more layers and will lift easier.

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 01:35:35 pm »
Barry
I have made a few puzzles lately and I agree with Julie the thin paper seems to be better. Also as far sticking the pattern goes I am using self adhesive photo paper, came across it in the cheapo shop and it works great.

Dave

SMF

Teknoromi