Author Topic: Anyone need this computer info ??  (Read 2021 times)

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
Anyone need this computer info ??
« on: September 14, 2014, 11:31:42 am »
http://www.komando.com/tips/271213/one-essential-setting-for-your-anti-virus-software 

Our oldest son has been in the computer business for decades.  A lot of his work ends up being Removing Viruses.  It is very time consuming, costly & expensive.
Here are 4 things he taught us:

1.  Use McAfee, as he does.
2.  DO NOT use Facebook.
3.  DO NOT get on YouTube.  (The first place hackers go to are Facebook & YouTube, because they can hit the most people there).
4.  IF you get an e-mail that says "Click Here" or something to that effect, DON'T click on it.  You don't have a clue what kind of access to your computer you could be handing someone.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: Anyone need this computer info ??
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 12:19:41 am »
Decent tips however not totally effective.

Mcafee is a resource hog much like Norton.  Kaspersky in my opinion is much better than either of them. 

You can use facebook and you can use youtube however you should not click on any of the links especially youtube unless you know where they are going. 

If you get an email telling you that you have won something, inherited something or asked to help clear some logistical problem with a huge sum of money these are fakes and are after your identity. 

Keep your virus protection up to date. 

Read what is being installed when you install a program, a goodly amount of problems stem from unwanted programs being installed at the same time as the one you wish to install.  Most of the time ( 98% of the time ) they will give you the option to opt out of installing those unwanted programs.

Keep a current backup of your programs.  Create a restore point at least 3 times a year, more if you have important items that you work on.

Periodically run a spyware and malware scan - especially if your home page on your internet changes suddenly.

Use an internet browser other than Internet Explorer as this browser is the main target for spammers, hackers, and viruses.  IE has many good features but its security is lax.  Chrome ( most computers ) or Safari ( for Apple ) would be a good choice in my opinion.  What you use is up to you.

Keep your popup blocker turned on unless you need it off for some reason.

hope this helps a bit more,

DW
( been in IT since 1982 )
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Ray

• View Profile
    • Slideshow of a few of my completed projects
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 10:58:44 am »
I despise companies that use tricks to sneak their software onto your system. McAfee is one of them and for that reason alone I wont use them. For example, whenever there is a Java Runtime update, you have to be careful and uncheck "Install McAfee". They piggyback on Java updates and installing McAfee is the default that you have to opt out of. Many times I've had to remove the sneaky McAfee from friends and families computers because of that and the problems it causes. Esprcially since they already have antivirus installed.

Plus, like DW stated, McAfee and Norton are major resource hogs and more bloated than necessary.

I'm not sure I like the no Youtube or Facebook advise. That's kind of like saying you can protect your car by never taking it out of the neighborhood. Youtube can be a great and entertaining resource. I even use them for music tutorials. Even Steve Good here has his videos on Youtube.

I'm not personally a computer expert, but I worked for years in electronics engineering with programers and software developers. Most of them hated McAfee and Norton too.

I tend to switch around antivirus from year to year depending on what get's the best ratings from security experts.  Kaspersky often rates very high. Currently, I'm using Vipre antivirus and have Bittdefender on my wife's computer.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 04:23:18 pm »
I use facebook, youtube, the whole internet and never have a issue, I also don't just random click stuff either without reading what your clicking more so on install of programs as like was said they love to piggy back installs, like yuck mcaffee from java updates. Don't just keep clicking ok on installs each time a ok prompt opens look it don't click ok. I use to use avast but was told microsoft security essentails was better, and since using it I naver had any issues, I also use advance system care to clean my system up and so far has been doing great, it even starts to give you a frowny face when you need to run it. I have also malware bytes but don't run it that often as most sites I visit are ones I go to all the time, but when I start going to new sites I update malware bytes and run it. I also have spybot search and destroy I run once in a while.

jbrowder

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 03:29:54 am »
I use an Apple computer and NEVER have virus problems.

SMF

Teknoromi