Author Topic: is this normal with spiral blades  (Read 2619 times)

Tropdoug

is this normal with spiral blades
« on: September 11, 2014, 05:30:07 am »
Tried my first spiral today, 2/0 flying Dutchman. Worked ok, and I quite liked being able to move in any direction, BUT I really had to push to advance the cut. I thought it might be the stack, cos I had 3/4" inch total with Silky Oak, Black Wattle and Maple. I had two patterns on the stack. Once I finished the first one, I switched to a #3 FD ultra reverse and cut the second one from the same stack, -- went like a hot knife through butter. So is this a normal thing with spirals, that you have to put a lot more effort in?

Doug  8)

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: is this normal with spiral blades
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 06:44:55 am »
The thicker the stack, the slower the cut.  You were using a 2/0 blade, which is a relatively small blade.  You probably had to retension it a couple of times.  You could have used a bigger blade to achieve speed but you would have had a bigger kurf.  I use 2/0 blades all the time and it takes longer to achieve the cut with thicker wood.  Try very hard not to push, it will distort your cut.  I've never thought to double the pattern, I will have to give that a try.  Just be aware, when you try that same blade with thinner stock, it's off to the races!  It will go so fast you may have trouble controlling where you are going.  Give it a try.

Offline RangerJay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 03:14:19 pm »
Try a #1 spiral with flat ends (FD-SP-FE No. 1).  This blade has pretty much become my go-to blade for all spiral work - the kerf is only very slightly larger and I've found the push issue you describe is virtually non-existent.  A very easy and long-lasting blade to use.

Jay

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 10:21:01 am »
You had some 'tough' wood in that stack and that 2/0 spiral had to work especially hard.
My largest stack has been 5/8" BB and I really had to slow down, NOT push and went through a lot more blades for the project.
Remember that the teeth are not aligned like with a flat blade and they will normally cut slower!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Tropdoug

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 06:02:15 pm »
Thanks for the answers guys,

I hadn't thought about the teeth not being aligned like a flat blade, so that makes sense. I will try again this week with some different size stacks, and species, and see how that compares. its an interesting and fun learning curve this scroll work.  :)

Offline Ray

• View Profile
    • Slideshow of a few of my completed projects
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 11:07:53 am »
That's one of the things I dislike about Spirals. They cut Slooooooow. It's really noticeable when your used to cutting with nice blades like Flying Dutchman ultra reverse and then try spirals for the first time.

I think I had been using good Flying Dutchman flat blades for at least 5 years before I tried my first spiral. The first time I tried them, I thought my saw was broken LOL. ;D

That said, I do use spirals now and then when the project calls for it due to size or if I want the specific veining effect that spirals are really good at.

Ray

ChuckD

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 04:28:05 pm »
One way to compare spirals with flat blades, is compare cutting a piece of wood with a file as cutting with a toothed saw.  Spirals are very much like a file and you have to know from the start they are slower, but you also have files in your tool box don't you? 

SMF

Teknoromi