Author Topic: new Exc 21" dust port problems  (Read 1822 times)

Tropdoug

new Exc 21" dust port problems
« on: August 21, 2014, 04:12:14 am »
Hi guys

On my new Excalibur 21" they have included a dust port to the right underneath the table and a number of holes around the blade to suck sawdust down. Sound like a good idea in theory but doesn't work so well in practice. Small bits from internal cuts get sucked into the holes and trapped which then leads sometimes to the wood catching as you turn. I am a newbie to scroll sawing though so I am wondering if anyone else has this model and what they do to alleviate this problem.

Also the only vac I have that fits the port, is an 1100 watt shop vac, huge noise!!! Me an my neighbours don't like it. So what do others do to soundproof vacs, or do most of you use fans and DIY filters for dust collection.

Oh I also have a Microclene air filter hung near the machine, it serves the oscillating and belt sanders as well.

Thanks
Doug

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: new Exc 21" dust port problems
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 06:10:21 am »
We had the same on ours and we removed it. :/  Just run the shop vac when  you are through. Unless you are cutting something thick or extra dusty (like MDF) we don't feel it is necessary and as you said - it caused more problems than it solved. :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline PigsFly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 09:03:21 am »
I agree with Sheila - I have the new EX21 and never used the dust collection because of its poor design.  I did not need to remove it as I had a new table top prepared for my old EX21 and just changed the table top out.  If I had not had a different table top I would have removed the dust collection apparatus as I much prefer my own Rube Goldberg dust collection which uses PVC running to an Oneida Dust Deputy and then to a vacuum.  This captures nearly all of the sawdust falling below the table.  I have tried to attach some pictures of what I have.  One of them shows my new table top which I had a machinest friend make for me - two inches wider on each side and four inches longer in front and for me a super change.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 09:05:01 am by PigsFly »
Doug

Take what you do seriously
Never take yourself too seriously

pddesertrat

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 09:48:47 am »
I haven't done it yet but I am going to remove the plastic shroud and dust port from my Excalibur.  I do not use it.   I cannot imagine sitting there scrolling with a loud vacuum running beside me the whole time.   

Tropdoug

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 05:23:16 pm »
Thanks Guys,

its always nice to hear the opinions from more experienced scrollers. I will dispense with it, and use the microclene for the airborne stuff, and maybe do a fan setup that I have seen described by others on here.

Love this forum, its a great place.
Doug

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 06:38:24 am »
My EX21 is so old, there is no dust port.  Mine never had one.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 07:42:58 am »
Yep, first thing I did on my Ex21 was remove the shroud. I keep a fan behind me on the floor, one mounted to the wall on my left, and one in the window of my shop, and I wear a dust mask. I clean up with a shop vac every day after scrolling. I tried using vacs on my saw, but, the noise drove me insane and the dust removal was very minimal.

Tony,aka,Toneman

SMF

Teknoromi