Author Topic: Cutting Script  (Read 2915 times)

Kragax

Cutting Script
« on: July 30, 2014, 06:28:32 pm »
I have another question. When cutting a message in script do you just make some of the cuts larger? I read somewhere about cutting
with the table angled to give it more definition. Anyone know where I can find information on this. I will try to attach a pic of what I mean.

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
Re: Cutting Script
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 02:02:05 am »
Hello,
Actually, the examples you show are not script writing.
The cuts only have to be as large as necessary to insert the blade.
I have seen some extremely small word art from experienced scrollers that
I would not ever want to have to try.
The smaller the lettering also means the smaller the spacing between the letters
which makes it extremely fragile; not much wood there to keep letters from breaking out
as you continue your cuts.
I don't really see any advantage to tilting the table but, maybe other scrollers here on the forum will chime in with their experience.
Good luck and God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 10:32:58 am »
The only time I tilt the table to cut out letters is when I do stack cutting for inlaying a different woods into a piece. Other wise it is not important to tilt the table when doing letters. Spacing is more important than anything.
Maybe this photo will explain more about what I am talking about.

Using script is not much harder to do than block letters but, as stated above, SIZE of the lettering can be a BEAR to cut when it is real small regardless of style of lettering. Also the thickness of the piece has a lot of bearing on what size lettering is used.
Hope that helps.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Kragax

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 05:28:36 pm »
Thank you for setting me straight.

Belg

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 08:49:04 am »
Kragax, What font are the words Coffee and friends shown in? Looks real useful, thanks Pat

Kragax

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 09:25:43 am »
I'm sorry. I don't know, I didn't cut this.

Offline Ray

• View Profile
    • Slideshow of a few of my completed projects
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 10:50:16 pm »
I don't have a picture, but a few years ago I experimented with the angle cut letters. It can make some cool effects. Sort of like the beveled engraving on a cemetery head stone. Bab example, but I can't think of a better one at the moment. If I get a chance, I'll cut a quick example after Thanksgiving and post it. Done right, it can look pretty cool. At least the ones I did before did anyway. Hope I can remember the way I finally came up with LOL

Ray

SMF

Teknoromi