Author Topic: cutting a word in wood  (Read 4636 times)

agooday88

cutting a word in wood
« on: July 10, 2014, 12:13:32 am »
 Hey there... I am probably the only one in here that doesn't know how to do this, but ya gotta learn some time. lol
 I want to cut a name INTO a piece of wood. I drew the names with stencils but I cant figure out how to cut out some letters. The L and T and all those are easy but the ones with  a hole inside are not making sense. Example.. when cutting a " A " .... I cut around the outside of the it I get a A with no hole in the middle. Same thing with an "O"  I get a hole! I want to cut just a thin letter in the wood. Does that make sense?
 How is this done? Please don't laugh at this post. I am a beginner and I am sure that this is a dumb question to a lot of you. :(
 Thank u for your help. Have a Blessed Day!  :D

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
Re: cutting a word in wood
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 03:03:41 am »
Normally you have to use a font that is scrollable such as Freefrm 721 Blk, Stencil, Scrollsini, or similar.
You can use other fonts but, you have to make a 'Bridge' so that a section of wood is attached to
the piece that would normally fall out of the letters such as 'O', 'A', 'B' etc.
God Bless! Spirithorse

pddesertrat

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 09:05:58 am »
Certainly not a dumb question.  If you search the internet for Freefrm 721 Blk you can clearly see what Spirithorse is talking about.  Thanks for asking the question, now I know what font to use when I want lettering.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 08:12:14 pm by pddesertrat »

Offline PigsFly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 03:57:47 pm »
Here is another free font to eliminate the necessity of bridges when scrolling words into wood.  Scroll down to "WordArt"

http://www.scrollcrafters.com/Pages/FreeStuff.aspx

It is quite similar to Hobo but without the need for the bridges.

Doug

Take what you do seriously
Never take yourself too seriously

Offline pierre62

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 06:31:59 pm »
Thank you for sharing!
Pierre

Offline PigsFly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 07:43:23 pm »
Sharing and helping is what is all about - enjoy your scrolling, it is addictive.
Doug

Take what you do seriously
Never take yourself too seriously

Offline Loskoppie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 08:45:04 am »
you are not the only one who is finding words in wood a problem.  Thanks for the tips.

agooday88

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 01:02:31 pm »
I understand what you mean. thanks..  I will use that info.  But what my problem is....I am making a heart and cutting out the word MOTHER in the middle of it. When I cut out the O and the R I had a big hole. I also cut out some stars with my kids name in it and the A was just a triangle. How do I get the middle of the letter?  Or is there no way... lol  I can accept that.

SMF

Teknoromi