Author Topic: HELP I NEED SOME BODY  (Read 5350 times)

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
HELP I NEED SOME BODY
« on: April 16, 2014, 03:27:43 pm »
hi all
right this XP business with no more support,I am already having problems with flash player crashes and the likes of.
Now I can't or don't want to run to the cost of 7 or 8 unless really no option.
now I am currently using  a desk top machine running at 3.2 ghz dual core so a virtual 6.4 ghz and 4 gb Ram.
Right I do have a certified unused copy of Vista of which I could upgrade to, but am worried whether it will be OK

The reason being that prior to the desktop I used a Laptop with vista at 1.73 ghz  2 mb ram and had issues with it
was this simply because I was asking the laptop to do to much
connected to it was as with the current machine
an old HP 1120c wide format printer
A brother ql570 label printer
Bamboo series one graphics pad
and an HP 6520 inkjet

so the question really is if I use the upgrade facility on the vista disc do you think I will be out of the woods ( for at least now)

regards
Dave

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: HELP I NEED SOME BODY
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 03:49:50 pm »
I'd be surprised if WinXP gives you headaches just because the Microsoft support stopped. They are trying to push everyone onto Win8, which may be OK for occasional users or those who want their computer to look like their phone (seems backward to me).

Norton provides continuing support for WinXP. The only issue I'd think would be if you buy some new device that does not have a vendor-provided driver for XP, but that should not happen for a couple of years. 
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 02:42:32 am »
I ran Windows 2000 for years after the support stopped and I had no problems what so ever, so I'm not concerned now.  I will continue on my merry little way until I have to change.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 12:04:37 pm »
I ran Windows 2000 for years after the support stopped and I had no problems what so ever, so I'm not concerned now.  I will continue on my merry little way until I have to change.

Marg
creatures of habit eh Marg
do you know still in a drawer I have a copy of windows 3.1 on floppy disc, why do I keep it god only knows :) :)
Dave

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 12:09:00 pm »
I'd be surprised if WinXP gives you headaches just because the Microsoft support stopped. They are trying to push everyone onto Win8, which may be OK for occasional users or those who want their computer to look like their phone (seems backward to me).

Norton provides continuing support for WinXP. The only issue I'd think would be if you buy some new device that does not have a vendor-provided driver for XP, but that should not happen for a couple of years. 

Ray yes you are probably right, its most likely not a connected issue.
I bought Ccleaner today and ran it, wow it cleared about 8 gb of rubbish, I see how I go
Dave

Offline WynnD

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 12:52:25 pm »
The major support at this point in time is to "repair" holes in XP left by the MS programmers. Those holes allow for easy hacking. If XP is running now it will continue without problems generated by the operating system. Just make certain your anti virus program is up to date. I would also suggest you switch to Foxfire or similar internet browser rather than use MS/WE (big blue E) I definitely  would NOT change XP for Vista. XP is a better OS ( IMO) than Vista. That is probably why Vista was promoted for such a short period of time. You do have the power necessary for 7 or 8. Again I would not switch at this time.

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 01:13:47 pm »
The major support at this point in time is to "repair" holes in XP left by the MS programmers. Those holes allow for easy hacking. If XP is running now it will continue without problems generated by the operating system. Just make certain your anti virus program is up to date. I would also suggest you switch to Foxfire or similar internet browser rather than use MS/WE (big blue E) I definitely  would NOT change XP for Vista. XP is a better OS ( IMO) than Vista. That is probably why Vista was promoted for such a short period of time. You do have the power necessary for 7 or 8. Again I would not switch at this time.
right thanks for that, you have convinced me not use the vista disc, I use chrome as a pose to IE, and am going to upgrade the AV, It's maybe me just being paranoid, as we do many financial transactions per day/week
Dave

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 05:37:42 pm »
hi all
right this XP business with no more support,I am already having problems with flash player crashes and the likes of.
Now I can't or don't want to run to the cost of 7 or 8 unless really no option.
now I am currently using  a desk top machine running at 3.2 ghz dual core so a virtual 6.4 ghz and 4 gb Ram.
Right I do have a certified unused copy of Vista of which I could upgrade to, but am worried whether it will be OK

The reason being that prior to the desktop I used a Laptop with vista at 1.73 ghz  2 mb ram and had issues with it
was this simply because I was asking the laptop to do to much
connected to it was as with the current machine
an old HP 1120c wide format printer
A brother ql570 label printer
Bamboo series one graphics pad
and an HP 6520 inkjet

so the question really is if I use the upgrade facility on the vista disc do you think I will be out of the woods ( for at least now)

regards
Dave

Should be ok to run vista on 4g of ram, you may of had issues with it on the 2g of ram as vista needs alot of memory to run, if  you can and have room on the laptop to increase your ram go for that route I would increase the ram as much as the laptop will run, I had a dell that ran vista and didn't have any issues but I also had like 6g of ram as well, right now I am running win 7 on my hp laptop with 6g of ram with a intel core i3 233om cpu @ 2.20 ghz and it does great never had a issue. Wife has a new laptop I bought touchscreen on win 8 and it does take some getting use to.

I liked vista I don't see what issue others had with it, 7 has been doing me fine, out of all windows I have had win me was the worst.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 08:51:53 am »
Hi Dave,

I did remove XP and purchased a new Windows7 on my P4 3.2 Ghz desktop.
did by a bargain OEM version for about  $55,-
Installing was easy and the system works great.
so I'm glad I did the swop.
don't know Vista, but if you have a unused version, why not use it?
Be sure you have all the drivers from you hardware ready before you run the install.

Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 11:27:55 am »
Dirtrider
thanks for that I think you have answered my original question "am I asking too much of the machine at its speedor is it the software".
You seem to of got a bit mixed up though, we dont have the laptop any longer I just reffered to it.
However if vista does really require about 4MB to run properly, then what the hell were HP thinking of by selling a product at that speed with vista pre-installed, interesting.
In short I have made the decision  not to install vista and upgrade to 7, in fact the vista disc is currently on E bay and attracting a lot of attention

Marcel did you by chance get that OEM from a german supplier if so can you give me a link I'm sure I saw that but cant seem to back track it.
I was hoping for a straight upgrade but it appears thats not going to happen, not a big problem just that we use compatable inks so will have to buy a set of originals to get the inkjet to work again

Dave

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 09:58:22 am »

Marcel did you by chance get that OEM from a german supplier if so can you give me a link I'm sure I saw that but cant seem to back track it.
I was hoping for a straight upgrade but it appears thats not going to happen, not a big problem just that we use compatable inks so will have to buy a set of originals to get the inkjet to work again

Dave

bought it on Softee.de.

but outside Germany can order with the website.
have to send them an email or give them a call.
not as easy but works great for me.

www.softee.de/windows-betriebssysteme/windows-7-guenstig-kaufen/windows-7-ultimate-32bit-online-kaufen.html

Softee UG
Pilotystra?e 4 | 80538 M?nchen | Deutschland
Tel. 0800 / 6976383
E-Mail: kontakt@softee.de | http://www.softee.de
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 10:33:49 am »
Good morning Daveo. The desktop (which is about 5 years old now) came with Vista, and that lasted about a month before upgrading to Windows 7. Despite being loaded with 2 gigs of ram, and a superior sound and graphics card it kept crashing. We've been running Windows 7 on both the desktop and laptop with very few complaints. Good luck, Barry.

Offline GrampaJim

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 01:20:17 pm »
Save your self the hassle and switch to a linux system like Ubunto.  Cost is zero for the operating system and upgrades are free too.  I am not a techie and switched 5 years ago and never looked back.  You can do this.
If nothing else, think of the money you will save to buy more wood, patterns, and tools!

Jim

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 03:42:33 pm »
Hi Dave. I ran Vista on the desktop and had nothing but issues with it. Converted to Windows 7 and haven't looked back. Cheers, Barry.

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 01:55:44 am »
hi
thanks for the comments,but as you can see this is an old thread, since then what I did was to stick the vista disc on e bay of which sold for an amazing
?30 GBP and then went out and bought the bargain OEM win7 disc that Marcel mentioned for ?47 GBP put it on and we have not had a single issue since

Dave

SMF

Teknoromi