Author Topic: Bandsaw Fence for Craftsman 14"  (Read 13048 times)

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: Bandsaw Fence for Craftsman 14"
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2014, 08:38:04 am »
I returned the Kreg fence. I looked like a great product, and I could have made it work, but it would have been a pain to change blades - the Craftsman blade slot comes right toward the sawyer so the fence would have blocked that slot.

The same day, I went to a major on-line supplier to order the Carter Magfence II as recommended here. I checked status for a week, but each time I checked the fence was back-ordered and the delivery date was moved back. I finally did another search and found it for a lower cost on Highland Woodworking. I called Highland and they had 13 in stock so I canceled the 1st order and placed my order with Highland. They had 2 day delivery standard, and it arrived as scheduled.

The fence is a beauty with two hefty switchable magnets to hold it to a steel or cast iron table. I used a combination square to set it square to the table and, after the Alex Snodgrass set-up on the saw, I was able to resaw to 1/8" thick. This was using the original 1/4" Craftsman band saw blade - I have not tried the 3/4" Timberwolf resaw blade yet.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. You've helped make my band sawing much more satisfying. 
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2014, 09:36:38 am »
What BIllthediver said:...................."The subject of bandsaw drift goes on and on, however if the saw is properly set up, there is no drift.".....This is true on my GO555 also.  I do a LOT of resawing. When I do get some drift I know the blade is dull and I replace it.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2014, 09:46:07 pm »
When a bandsaw is acting up it is a true frustration.  Once you get the hang of the setup it's like getting a new toy.  Makes you just look for more projects to use it on.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

SMF

Teknoromi