Author Topic: Toy design portfolio - "open source"  (Read 3877 times)

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Toy design portfolio - "open source"
« on: August 01, 2013, 08:23:50 pm »
This is a follow up to the previous Toy Plans posting.

We've been creating portrait patterns by request for a while. There are usually very good reasons to ask for the pattern - marriage, anniversary, retirement, an injury, a death, etc.

Someone noted that toy patterns are expensive. I agree and also think they are overly complicated. I suggest we try something like the portrait patterns but for toys. If someone has a good idea for a toy and will post a request for a design, or create their own design to share with the community, we could build a portfolio of unique toy plans that are shared freely. There might be great reasons (charities, new grandkids, etc.) but in this case the idea for a toy will be reason enough.

To kick it off, I remember as a kid having a wooden workbench with holes, a mallet, and a bunch of dowels that you could pound into the holes; we played with it for hours at a time. I request any patterns for toy wooden tools, workbench, and toolbox. There might be pliers, hammer, saw, screwdriver, wrench, whatever a little guy or girl would like to use to play workshop (without hurting themselves). A workbench that held the tools and/or a toolbox would also be great. No need to be complicated - simpler is better. We'll leave the professional designers to make the complex designs. 

Those interested, please feel free to jump in. Those others, please keep your wet blankets to yourself. ;)

EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: Toy design portfolio - "open source"
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 10:09:52 pm »
Push toy plans would be great too.  You know the ducks and frogs with flappy feet and a dowel for a push stick.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 12:09:40 am »
I agree completely - in fact my niece has been after me to make one of those for her daughter. If anyone has a design that can be shared, please post it.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline dottyblues

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 12:11:41 am »
I think any toy patterns are appreciated.  Pictures are always great too.  I like to see what other folks are doing and get ideas. 

I make toys for the local woodworking club and we donate the toys to underprivileged kids at x-mas so I'm in for quick and simple patterns.  I get most of my patterns from the generous folks here and whatever I can find on the internet.

grandpa_pip

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 02:24:19 pm »
Greetings from the land of Mickey
Yes I know this is an old post but lets see where it goes.

I have been looking for tool patterns and found some but would like some more ..  I am working on selling them online and donating to toys for tots.

Any plans out there?  I have  hammer, saw, screwdrivers, pliers (working on a better version), and circular saw..

Working on a hand planer, power tools and hand drill for my grandson for Christmas.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 07:11:38 pm »
The hand drill sounds like fun.

How about a tool box? Maybe like a wagon with wheels and a handle so it's easy to move around, and can serve as a portable workbench?
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Graywolf

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 07:06:27 pm »
Toy patterns are a great idea. I don't design, but I would build.  ;D 
I have made the airplane that Steve has on the site for my great grand son. Had to fix it twice (crash & burn), the last time the crash was to much. He is letting me know he needs anew one though.
I have thought about making toys to sell, but toy manufactures are always having recalls and getting sued. So I have stayed away from that.

SMF

Teknoromi