Author Topic: "Scrap" Hardwood  (Read 1864 times)

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
"Scrap" Hardwood
« on: April 25, 2013, 08:03:56 pm »
I stopped at a local cabinet maker in town to ask him about the cut-off ends of boards from his operation. For $100 he sold me a full-sized pickup bed (8'x6'x2') of end cuts that were cluttering his shop space. I went through it all today and found red and white oak, birch, cherry, maple, poplar, and black walnut. Most is 3/4", some 7/8", a few 1 1/2" (he keeps those 1 1/2" ends for something), and a few thinner (1/2" or 1/4"). Widths range from 4" to 16". A lot of the boards are over 3' long. I estimated the total at about 500 board-feet. I expect this will keep me going for a few years except where something special is needed.

I checked Menards - black walnut is $15/bd-ft & cherry is $20/bd-ft. So at $0.20/bd-ft this looks pretty good to me. Now I need to find things to make from lots of different dimensional lumber. I can see cherry,walnut, maple, and oak baskets, bowls, and boxes in my future.

Are there similar shops in your town? Might be worth a look.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
Re: "Scrap" Hardwood
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 08:30:52 pm »
Wow! Way to go, nice find.
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Scroll Down

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 01:16:32 am »
Nice!
Between two cabinet shops and a hardwood flooring installer I have built a large stash of different woods.

Pays to stop in and introduce yourself.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 02:02:03 am »
I keep meaning to go to the cabinet maker close to up but either forget or haven't got the time, BUT I will get there one day.

Marg

By the way congratulations on getting all of that hard wood EIEIO
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 02:03:38 am by wombatie »
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 10:02:00 am »
You saved enough money on that deal to buy a lunchbox planner.  Then you can make the projects any thickness you want.  Look around on Craigslist and you could probably find one for $200.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 09:37:12 am »
I have a cabinet shop near me that gives me all his scraps for free.  Hardwood and plywood.

tundraguy

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 10:29:11 pm »
What a great idea...ill be stopping by the one in my town and intruducing myself....

IBMer

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 10:44:34 pm »
I've often wondered what they do with Old Cabinets that they remove.   I bet there is a lot of Oak and Cherry removed.    Maybe they resurface them and sell them again.   I bet I could make something neat from the face or sides of an old kitchen cabinet.

SMF

Teknoromi