Author Topic: Boiled Linseed Oil- Mineral Spirits Problem  (Read 25357 times)

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
Boiled Linseed Oil- Mineral Spirits Problem
« on: August 02, 2012, 10:54:19 pm »
 recently started using a 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits for some finishing.  The mineral spirits is low odor. The pieces I am finishing are small ornaments so I give them a quick dip, then drain and after about 10 or so minuets wipe off all the excess. I then leave them for 24 hours. The last two batches I sprayed with clear lacquer.  The lacquer dries after about 10- 15 minutes. For some unknown reason, the pieces stay sticky for a few days( 5-6 days. When I say sticky, not so bad that they will stick to your finger but enough to be able to feel it. Anything I need to change or do.  This is my first try at the BLO mix and so far I am not happy with it.   
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Boiled Linseed Oil- Mineral Spirits Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 11:28:49 pm »
Hey billy, I  use this method for all my scrolled projects with great results. The only thing that comes to mind is how is the humidity in your part of the woods? Here in Southern California the humidity is usually low. I don't lacquer in the mornings or on wet days for that reason. One other thing to consider, after soaking in the BLO/MS mix, wipe off the excess immediately before the oil starts to set up.
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 01:22:41 am »
I learned this method from Dan and have used it successfully ever since..about 2 years now.
You said you give the pieces a "quick dip". I usually let mine soak for 5 to 10 minutes, drain well and wipe off any excess and let sit for at least 8 hours, checking and wiping off any additional oil mix that seeps out.
Then after they are fully dry I spray with MinWax spray lacquer and have never had a failure.
I live in an area that is noted for its humidity and I always do my finishing in my basement where it is air conditioned in the summer and heated in the winter.

The method sure works like a charm for me.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 05:07:46 am »
if temperature and humidity is "wrong"  drying can take more then 24 hours.
I have had this also, if the BLO isn't dry enough you might get cracks in the lacker as well.
I now use orange oil instead of mineral spirits, but the idea is the same.
do you have the mixture all ready in a bottle?
could it be the 50/50 isn't 50/50 anymore because of the vaporized mineral spirits? this might effect the drying time as well.

Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

daliclimbs

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 05:46:19 pm »
I have had this issue before. If your project is not staying permanently tacky then odds are is it the humidity and climate issues. If so not much you can do but be patient. I wouldn't worry to much about your mix, I actually don't cut my BLO with anything and it has never effected my finish. Just make sure you get all the excess BLO Off after a good overnight dry..

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 09:01:19 pm »
Thanks for all the great information.  I had a feeling the humidity might be the culprit but wanted some other experienced users input. I too have used BLO uncut with great results. I like the lemon oil also. It is great if  you need something done fast.  It does have to be covered completely tho.  Each finish has it + and -.  Again thanks for the great info..
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 10:14:13 pm »
I'd bet on too much humidity.
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

SMF

Teknoromi