Author Topic: New Scroll Saw Vacuum  (Read 14841 times)

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
New Scroll Saw Vacuum
« on: July 08, 2012, 09:06:32 am »
I just purchased a new scroll saw vacuum from Ray @ Seyco and it works great! I had mentioned to Ray I was using my big shop vac and it was extremely noisy and put out a lot of heat. He was in the process of obtaining the dealership for a Metro vac out of Bronx, NY. It has been modified for scroll saws, has a magnet holding the hose under the table next to the hole and it is quiet. The vac is strapped to the saw table and is small, but powerful. The company that makes the saw has been in business for nearly 80 yrs, so I would say their products are dependable. I just thought I would mention this in case anyone out there is shopping for a vac for their saw, give Ray a call.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
Re: New Scroll Saw Vacuum
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 10:05:46 am »
do you know if it is made in a 240volt version? for us in the U.K.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 03:52:35 pm »
Keefie, don't know about 240v, but, here is web site:
www.Metrovacworld.com
It is a Metro vac'n go 500 series and I am sure you could email Ray@Seyco and he could answer your question. I believe he may also be taking some to the scroll show in Missouri next week.

Tony,aka,Toneman

jim stiek

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 07:09:34 pm »
saw it at the wonderful world of wood last month in Tulsa Ok. looks like the real deal for scrollers that want to really control thier sawdust.
jim

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 07:43:27 pm »
Are you referring to the Metro Vac N Blo 500?
What kind of price does it carry did not see on the web site?
Is it that quiet and efficient and what kind of filter does it have?
I don't see it on Ray's website.
I have a 2hp dust collector in the work  shop but just can't see running a huge and kind of noisy 2 hp motor for a scroll saw, and a shop vac is even louder.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 07:47:57 pm by tvman44 »
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 08:57:53 pm »
Are you referring to the Metro Vac N Blo 500?
What kind of price does it carry did not see on the web site?
Is it that quiet and efficient and what kind of filter does it have?
I don't see it on Ray's website.
I have a 2hp dust collector in the work  shop but just can't see running a huge and kind of noisy 2 hp motor for a scroll saw, and a shop vac is even louder.
Hey tvman, I use a dust collector hooked up to my scroll saw. It is defiantly not as loud as a shop vac, but most importantly, it collects all the airborne dust. hear is a link to my system. I have moved the bottom collector to just under the bevel knob as it collects the dust under the table better: http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=8625.0
Dan In Southern California

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 09:57:07 am »
Hey tvman, I don't believe it is on their web site (I know it is not on Seyco's yet), but it is similar to the Metro 500 flo series. They modified it some to be quieter and put the magnet on the hose attachment just for the scroll saw. I can listen to my radio or hear my cell while it is sucking dust! My wife bought it for me and I believe she paid $119.00.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 04:43:29 pm »
dgman, that is pretty much how I have mine set up and the funnel on the bottom is directly below  the knob on my EX-21.  Thinking I may try that new vac and hook it to my set up instead of the dust collector would definitely use a lot less electricity  and should be quieter.  My DC draws 15 amps and this vac I believe draws 4.5 amps, not sure how much quieter it is.
EX-21

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 09:35:08 am »
toneman,
do you have any pictures of that vac setup on your saw.
EX-21

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 10:06:02 am »
TVman, I will try to take pictures today. The vacumm is resting on the left brace of the stand and secured  with wire ties to the front left leg. The hose goes under the table and is secured to the bottom with a magnet right next to the left of the blade hole. In case a cut you need falls through the hole, the top of the vaccum screws off and there is the filter. You simply take the filter out and empty and put back in or replace with a fresh one. (vacuum comes with 5 filters and holds about a cup of dust). You just have to be careful and not put the end of the hose too close to the hole or the btm arm will hit it. I have mine placed just to the left of the btm arm and the blade hole. Hope this helps and I will try to post photo later.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 11:30:39 am »
TVMan, here are a couple of photos of my new vacuum:
[/img]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:36:25 am by Toneman »

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 01:42:44 pm »
Thanks toneman for the pics.
Do you think that vac has enough suction to split the hose and pick up from 2 points like I have mine setup for or does it do a good enough job just from below.  I have a set up like dgman, below the table and above the the table.
EX-21

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 05:18:05 pm »
TVman, the vacuum is powerful fot it's size, but, is there enough power for the bottom and top? I honestly do not think so, but, you should consult Ray @ Seyco.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 08:21:01 pm »
toneman,
with the vac under the saw below the knob does that get most of the dust or is there still a lot on top of the table?  That is what I like about my setup it gets just about all the dust top and bottom but is a little bit cumbersome, but the noise and running that 15 amp DC motor to pickup a cup full of dust is hardly worth it to me, that is why I am considering that new vac.
EX-21

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 08:20:39 am »
TVman, it does get a lot of the dust on top, but, of course it will not get all. I noticed it doesn't get as much as my big shop vac did, but, i too was tired of the noise and heat. Now, it does keep the btm really clean, there will be no dust hardly at all. All I can say is, I am well pleased with it and if my wife buys her a saw, I will buy another vac for hers.

Tony,aka,Toneman

SMF

Teknoromi