Author Topic: Hegner Scroll Saw....  (Read 9465 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Hegner Scroll Saw....
« on: January 04, 2011, 12:02:27 pm »
Been reading quite a lot of posts on the Dewalt 788.  Never owned one, but the pictures look very good.  Waz just wondering if any of ya's use the Hegner?  I have had three other saws in the last 6 years.  Now I own a Hegner 18" and I have decided that it looks to be built very simple, but very strong and very quite.  Cuts Beautifully.  Its a 2001 model.  I know Al has one.  Anyway I waz just wondering as I would LOVE to read any posts about it.  Later....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
Re: Hegner Scroll Saw....
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 12:24:24 pm »
Hi Danny,

I use a Hegner multicut SE And I'm very satisfied!
it has a good tork also at low speed.
great handling.
I started on a old ferm ffz 400 and the difference's with the Hegner is really great!
would love to saw on a dewalt some day, but they aren't sold in the netherlands.....
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 01:04:14 pm »
Thanks Marcel for the comment.  I wonder why the Hegner's table isn't as wide as other Scroll saws.  Now the dewalt 788 (to me) is HUGE.  Anyway....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

supershingler

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 02:05:15 pm »
Danny  

I own both the dewalt 788 and a single speed older hegner that i started with.  i prefer the dewalt for ease and speed of blade changes and when doing fretwork it goes faster.  i also like the tensioning on the dewalt better.  i use the dewalt most of the time and generally just leave a #9 blade in the hegner and just use it for exterior cutout work.  the hegner cuts really smooth but the single speed has its drawbacks.  
i  know most of the hegners are variable speed and are good saws. i wont sell my hegner because i still use it quite often.

kendall

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 12:59:33 am »
I saw in one of Steve's blogs that the Henger was the best around, but I think it depends on what is available and what you can afford, in NZ there is not a lot of choice apart from the really cheap stuff and this why I have a Excalibur 21 and I am happy with it, I would have loved to have tried a Dewalt but they don't want to sell in NZ
Jimbo

tux_linux

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 03:15:29 am »
I'm currently observing some Hegner scroll saws on German ebay.
Those are - even used and really not looking good - sold far too expensive!

regards
Torsten

Scrollman

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 06:15:04 am »
I will add my opinion if I may. I have had and used both. The Hegner cuts were glass smooth with tighter turns and a quiet machine, well built, simple. The Dewalt is easier to use, especially with the top feeding capability. I may give up the top feeding and go back to the Hegner when it is time to replace the Dewalt, but I have a feeling I will miss that big time and regret it. I have been mulling over this for almost a year now. I have replaced the clamps on the Dewalt a couple of times, but they are a cheaper saw.

Offline scrollriffic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 09:17:42 am »
I bought my Hegner in 2001 and would not trade it for any other saw. It is simply the best all around saw there is.I know a few other owners of this saw and have tried other saws and the like the Hegner the best.Will last a long time. I have the variable speed and that does make a difference. Bobby

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 09:21:16 pm »
I have an "old" (26 years old, same as me!) single speed model. I don't use it much because changing the blade is kind of a pain. I was actually thinking of posting a question about it to see if it was something I was not getting.
Other then the blade being irritiating to change, I love the saw. Very nice cuts.

tux_linux

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 04:28:19 am »
@ msrn
What kind of blade clamps does it have?

I recently changed the blade clamps on my saw to the these -> Blade Clamp@ Scheppach.de. They fit to a lot of machines and work perfect.

regards,
Torsten

Offline cskipper

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 12:44:40 am »
I bought a used Hegner 18" VS several years ago.  It was used (hard) but was still wonderful compared to the mid-priced Delta I had been using.  Last month I got a steal on Craigslist (under $300!) for a newer model with the light, foot pedal - all the bells and whistles.  The difference in the smoothness is amazing.  Granted, this saw was only used a few times and is 13 years younger than my older one.  I really love everything about the saw except the size of the table (I am going to build an auxillary top.)  If I am going to work on a project that will probably take more than one blade, I chuck up a couple of extras in extra clamps I bought from Advanced Machinery.  I pop the blade and clamp out through the slot in the table and feed the blade through the drilled hole where I can see it (instead of angling the piece on the table and trying to find that tiny hole while wearing bifocals (lol).  Then I slide the work piece and blade/clamp back through the slot and connect the blade in the top clamp and I am ready to go.  I don't have to fumble under the saw to find the clamp (yes, I know it becomes instinctual) - everything I do is on top of the table.   
Cathy Skipper
When in doubt, just do the next right thing.

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 11:01:31 am »
if someone finds what tux_linux is talking about in english, please post the site. i have an old Delta
18" electronic saw i might try this on. thanks

SMF

Teknoromi